Friday, December 23, 2011

The Cookie King

This is such a busy time of year for everyone. Shopping, cooking, cleaning, wrapping, and at our house: BAKING! We hosted our annual cookie swap, but that was just the beginning of our cookie adventure. For me, it hit its climax last night. As I was pulling our dinner from the oven, I called to our son to come for dinner. He came into the kitchen and looked at me with big round eyes and gave me the 'head nod'. You know the one I'm talking about. The one where they are silently motioning you to meet them in the next room to talk about something private. Ok, so I sneak into the living room and he says, "When is he going to be done?! This is the third night in a row I have to eat dinner standing up! Mom, do something!" And he was right. My husband was in his annual cookie frenzy. He took the week off for vacation. He had been eating, sleeping, dreaming cookies. When he gets up in the morning, the first thing he does is get out one of his cookie books. He must have 6. Not cooking books--COOKIE books. He starts mixing in the morning and by evening, sometimes not even breaking for a lunch, this is what we have:



.

Well, when our son was complaining, the first thing I thought of was that all the years of making him sit down at the dinner table and have dinner together as a family and not in front of the television has paid off! He likes eating dinner together now and talking about how our day went or some other topic. All you young parents out there! Stand firm! it does pay off eventually. Oops! I digress.........




So anyway, I had to assure our son that I thought that last night was the 'last night' of it and that today I would be making cookies plates and we would get the kitchen back. And I told him he'd better beware. That Darrell's dad made cookies like this every Christmas when he was growing up and that his life has had cookies like this every Christmas and that when he gets out on his own, not to be surprised if it doesn't feel like Christmas unless he is surrounded by cookies! Odds are that he, too, will turn into a Cookie King! One of the other brothers is a Sous Chef in Chicago and the other won't let his wife bake much at Christmas because he is doing it. Take heed, young man! This could be you in 20 years! lol  It is worth losing the kitchen for a week before Christmas because the man makes a damn fine cookie!

Have a wonderful holiday season!  Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment