Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Washing Wool

I have been trying to de-clutter my workshop
lately and decided to start washing wool
again. Its no small job once I get started on
a roll. Its like I get obsessed with it and have
to do it every day. I came across a couple of
sheep fleeces I forgot I had. I also had
forgotten how different they are to wash than
alpaca fleeces.





The pictures to the right are of the water after the
first wash and the wool is taken out. It has an almost
caramel color to it from the lanolin. It has a distinct
smell, too. After having sheep for so many years, I
realized I missed the smell! But my son didn't. lol











Then after a couple of sheep fleeces, I decided to go
back to washing some alpaca. The picture to the left
is the water after the first wash of an alpaca fleece. It
is definitely a different color!






 So I took another, closer view of the wash water. Yes, as clean as an alpaca
fleece may 'appear' to be, it has alot of dirt in it.

 One of my favorite sayings to people when they comment on some dirt in a fleece or a hay seed or two, I say, "well, they do live outside you know!"

 





 

 I even took a picture of the bottom of the sink after
the water drained out. Doesn't the silt look digusting?!
And there is alot of sand in there, too. But you ask yourself, 'they look so cute, how do they get that dirty?'

Well, let me show you!




 After they get hosed off, or immerse themselves in the water trough,


 they roll in the dust pile and get mudded up! But that is what a happy, healthy animal does. I can't imagine what I would look like if I lived outside. I know what I look like after one day out there with them. Can you imagine

 the dirt ring these feet leave in the bathtub?! LOL
 
Yes, its quite a silt ring. I've got a fleece to go rinse in the workshop.

Talk to you soon,  Tammy

1 comment:

  1. Ooh that is gross! I guess that makes you realize how clean we humans can (sometimes) be.

    ReplyDelete