Thursday, August 11, 2011

WIP Is Now A FO, part 1

So here they are! My finished frilly cuffs. I had some down time each night at Guys and Dolls performances, so not only was I backstage 'shooting crap', I finished the cuffs, too. I plan to wear them with my leather jacket this fall to ward off the windy chill. It does seem strange to be planning on such a thing in August! But as Elizabeth Zimmerman said, "if you want winter mittens, start knitting them in May", or something close to that effect. So I've been trying to take her advice. As previously posted, they are made from an angora/merino blend yarn that I handspun. Handspun angora doesn't shed like commercially spun angora does. I love the look of angora but that was always a problem for me: the shedding of the fibers! They would get on everything. And look like dog or cat hair on your pants, skirts, etc. Well, then when I learned how to spin so many years ago, that was one of the first things I learned from my friend, Bonnie Ahrens.



         Check out the angora halo close up! Its just awesome!
I found the pattern on Ravelry. Its called "Frilly Cuffs". I only did one repeat of the lace pattern, though. It called for it all the way down the wrist but I changed it (as I usually do!) to a 1x1 ribbing (k1p1) as I felt it would hold onto my wrist and stay in place better. And they stay on nicely.
I'm very happy with the way they turned out. I would make another pair, too.

Talk to you soon,  Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment