Monday, August 8, 2011

A Fedora For Hubby

I've been very busy outside the home the past few weeks with my family doing a community theatre production of Guys and Dolls. My hubby played 'Big Jule' and really wanted a new hat for his part. So, after one felting failure (yes, I, too have failures!) my second try was rewarded with this awesome hat! It is made with 100% alpaca from Jett. Here is a pic of him. I am very happy with the end result. I used a silk ribbon for the hat band. And I finished it off with some feathers from our French Heritage chickens.


This is a fun picture of 'Big Jule' in his entire costume on the set. Did you notice the shoes? We had alot of fun with this show! I took an $11 wool suit from Goodwill and made it into a double breasted suit. And recut the pants so they fit him.

In the sun, you can really see the sheen alpaca has when felted. It also has a silky feel. Yes, I do like to felt alpaca! and now our son who played Brannigan in the show wants one so this week I will be making another hat for him. I'll post about that one when its done. I'll add a small picture of me in one of my costumes from the show. I had a fun hair-do. I played General Cartwright. More people should get involved in community theatre and help to keep the arts alive. If you don't want to be onstage that's ok. There are lots of jobs backstage. And you get to become part of a 'family'. And you get friendships that you keep for life!



Talk to you soon,  Tammy

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I like your hat, too. Did you knit and felt it as well? I do not think I would want to act but I've always wanted to help paint sets. Maybe one of these days I will track down a local theater group here.

    ReplyDelete