Monday, August 22, 2011

How Could You Say No?

 
Look at this face!
How could you not love it? How could you say "no! don't do that." To this face?
You may remember Vienna being one of last year's crias. Her mom is Venus and she is pretty much what I call a 'minnie-me'. She looks like her mom. She will be a year old next month. The problem I'm having? Even though I weaned babies from moms for 2 months, I noticed last week that Vienna is nursing off her mom again! I guess Venus broke down and got tired of telling her 'no'. And yes, she is too big to still be nursing. Although I don't think she is getting anything because Venus doesn't have a milk bag. So what's the problem you ask? I think Venus is pregnant and due at the end of September with another cria. The problem is that Vienna will rob the new cria of its colostrum. The cria will probably fail to thrive because of it. And possibly die. So what do I do?
The first idea to mind is to re-wean Vienna from Venus. Although that will be stressful on her. Being separated from the girl herd. And the summer heat will make it worse. And she will need companions to go with her. Her companions can't be pregnant, so that means Georgie and Autumn or Alegra. Autumn and Alegra will wonder why they are being punished and separated into a totally different pasture and not allowed in the barn with everyone else. They didn't do anything wrong! They will be mad at me. And when the first crias are born, Georgie will stress about not being able to do what comes so naturally to her: guard the crias. Its just not fair to them.



Any other ideas? Well, one comes to mind. Something my grandma used to tell me to do for a child that wouldn't stop sucking his thumb. Putting cayenne pepper on it. Although nowadays, it will probably earn you your own folder in Child Protective Services. But in this situation it might work! The cayenne pepper wouldn't burn Venus and only if Vienna tries to nurse will she get a hot mouth. If Vienna is as smart as I think she is, it will only happen once or twice and she will figure it out.              
Well I guess I need to find a pair of rubber gloves.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

I'll let you know how it works out.

She is just so darn cute! I'm sorry, Vienna!

Talk to you soon,  Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment