Monday, March 14, 2011

Jefferson City Fiber Retreat

 
The Fiber Retreat is held at Lincoln University's Carver Farm each year. It is a wonderful facility! We had 190 people registered this year taking classes. Registration included buffet meals together which was a great time to catch up with old fiber friends and make new ones.


There were vendors, too! Lots of shopping till you dropping!  To the right is my friend, Bonnie Ahrens, in her booth selling fiber.  Bonnie also taught a Nuno felting class. If you are interested, check out the event for yourself for next year. Lots of classes are offered at very reasonable prices. And its a wonderful, peaceful feeling to be in the midst of fellow fiber people. I am originally from Missouri and you drive past the State Capital Building to get to the retreat. And I would drive by it each evening going back to my hotel. I still get a feeling of childish awe driving by it all lit up at night! I guess it is from childhood because the capital in Springfield, Il doesn't affect me at all. Maybe that feeling is part of my affection for this Retreat, I don't know, I just know it is there. There is a Gallery of participants work to admire. And I do spend time in there admiring their work! In the past couple of years the Retreat has expanded into a local 4-H Camp to accommodate more registrants.  Below is a picture of Leslie Carroll-Bartlett manning what I call 'the command post' at the entrance of Carver Farm. She is there most of the weekend answering questions and giving directions. Thank you, Ms. Leslie, for all you do !      
A couple of the vendors at The Retreat will be at Waterloo's Sheep Festival on April 9. To the right is one of them, Nancy Barnett. Nancy sells Border Leicester roving and some other surprises she sometimes comes up with! Doesn't the picture make you want to come to the Sheep Festival and check out her wares in person? Nancy also helps to organize The World Sheep Festival in Bethel, Missouri over Labor Day weekend.


Another vendor that will be at Waterloo is Linda Little. Linda is a crazy nut (as you can tell from this photo!) and also has some very nice rovings and yarns. I was hesitant about using this photo in my blog because I was afraid it might attract many offers for a date for her. She might get overwhelmed with phone calls! But she assured me if I mentioned she was only in interested in men that it would be alright. lol  Yes, men, come to Waterloo and meet her in person! Needless to say, I had a good time at the Retreat this year. I look forward to next year already! Talk to you soon,  Tammy
The last picture is of the other side of Carver Farm. It is a working sheep and goat farm under the wise eye of Dr. Helen Swartz. Now that woman is a phenom!

No comments:

Post a Comment