Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Best Thing That I Have Done In A While

The best thing that I have done in a while was constructing this creep feeder for my crias. A creep feeder is an area that only babies can get into and the grown animals cannot. When I had sheep for all those years, I had a door that my husband made accessible for the lambs into the feed room. But now with the alpacas, I have the barn set up differently. At an alpaca show late last fall, my husband and I purchased these foldable panels that you see pictured. I would have bought the 4ft creeper panel he had if it would have fit in the back of my CRV. But it didn't. So--with the addition of a couple of t-posts to frame a small doorway in the center, and baling wire to secure it to the fence on each end, well--it ain't pretty but it works really well! lol  As you can see, the crias have access to their own feed and hay without having to fight with the big girls for it. Now that they are accustomed to it, they are waiting for me in the creeper to lay out their feed. And I don't have to worry about the crias not getting enough to eat in this cold weather. This is the best idea I have had in awhile! Talk to you soon,

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment