Monday, November 28, 2011

False Start

At the beginning of this year, I made a resolution to finish up my old projects that have been laying around for who knows how long. I have finished a couple. And as this year is drawing to a close, I feel pressure-ized to keep to my resolution. So I got out an old chesnut of a project. I had the body knitted of a 50/50 mohair and Border Leicester sweater. I started it 12 years ago. Yes! I said 12! The wool was from a ewe I had, named Angel. After I blew all the dust off this one, I realized I only had the part of the sweater pattern that I had finished. I couldn't find the rest of the pattern! So I decided to make it a vest, instead of a sweater, and make it up as I go (which you know I like to do anyway). So I put an easy finish on the armholes and then came some fun. I had to choose buttons. That was one whole evening as I got out every button I own, had them spread out on the table and tried to choose. I had trouble staying 'on task'. I kept wanting to organize the buttons more, by color, by shape, by decade! I think I get a little A-D-D disorder when the buttons come out. But by about 3 hours later, I had chosen 4 buttons. I am very pleased with my choice. You see, I couldn't start the front facings with the button holes until I had chosen buttons so I knew how big to make the buttonholes. I had many 'false starts' on the finishing of this vest. I couldn't decide how long to make the front facings. I ripped them out twice, each time going longer. When I got to the neck edging, I decided I wanted a shawl collar. I ripped that out several times until it suited me. It took me every evening for a week to get it finished, but I did it! I wore it yesterday to the Christmas Walk in Waterloo.
Oh yeah, I knitted pockets on it, too. The 4 buttons that I used match, but the top two are a size smaller than the bottom two. They appear to be bakelite (I haven't had them tested to be sure) in the tortoise shell color.

I definitely got in the Christmas Spirit yesterday! It was the 30th Annual Christmas Walk in Waterloo and I was demonstrating spinning at Raccoon Hollow quilt shop. I now have things for sale there. Yarn, knitting needles and stuff. I will start teaching beginning knitting there as well. I am looking forward to it! Stay tuned for more info.

Talk to you soon,  Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment