Friday, July 30, 2010

Cherries!

I've been very busy with cherries coming in. We have Nanking cherry bushes and they are having a great year! I picked about 2 gallons a day for over a week. And I still only got to maybe a little over half of them. Nankings are used as the rootstock for our modern dwarf cherry trees. The cherries are small and fairly sweet and great for juicing. I have made cherry jelly, jam, a tapioca fluff (that didn't turn out as well as expected) and 2 gallons of cherry bounce. It wouldn't seem right if at this time I didn't thank Buckette, our black snake. Because of her, the past 3 years I have been able to get cherries of my bushes. For 5 years before that the birds got them. I would show you a picture of her but as with all good black snakes, I very rarely ever see her. My family is now set with jelly for the year. I have also used the jelly as a glaze for grilled salmon that turned out very well. I will keep you posted with any other recipes I find. Thanks, Buckette!!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment